• CLIENT : Private
  • LOCATION : Muswell Hill, London
  • COST :

St. James’s Lane

The project comprised of the repair and refurbishment of a Grade 2 listed 18th century timber frame house, and the creation of a new kitchen extension to the rear. The property is a striking survival of Georgian timber frame construction in an area that was developed extensively in the 19th century.

In 1858 the house was known as Willow Cottage, and its occupant was Mr. William B Tagetmeier, a local beekeeper and specialist who was in regular contact with Charles Darwin.

101 St James’s Lane was extensively altered in the 1920s, when windows were replaced and the building rendered in a mock Tudor style. The project included both repairs to the timber frames and the replacement of the timber weatherboarding.

A thermographic survey was undertaken to determine the location of original window openings and the extent of damage to the timber frame before work commenced. This ensured that all the replacement box sash windows were relocated in original positions.

The project also resolved the problem of the rear garden retaining wall by the creation of a new glazed roof extension to accommodate the Kitchen and Utility Room.







Muswell Hill, London