Turner's House

Client: 
Turner's House Trust
Date: 
July 2017
Project Stage: 
complete

Sandycombe Lodge was designed by the eminent landscape painter J.M.W. Turner as a rural retreat near the Thames in Twickenham, and was built between 1813 and 1815. Turner owned the building until 1826, and his father lived in the house throughout this period. There is clear evidence to attribute the design of the building to Turner, and circumstantial evidence to suggest that Turner‘s design was influenced by his great friend, the architect Sir John Soane.
Butler Hegarty Architects have approach the conservation of this building by reinstating Turner's original vision of a small rustic retreat in the landscape. This included some “creative demolition”, by removing later 19th century additions added to the wings and an ugly 20th century bathroom extension to the side. This work allowed the building to return to its original form. Our conservation approach, which included the removal of later render, has resulted in a dramatic change, and the building now is a brick structure as originally conceived by Turner. In addition, as part of our work, the interiors have been carefully re-formed and furnished to reflect Turner’s life in Twickenham. The house is now open to the public as a visitor attraction and viewing appointment can be booked via Turner’s House Trust website.
Photographs by Anne Purkiss.