4 Hacton House

Client: 
Private
Date: 
2010
Project Stage: 
Planning permission obtained

Hacton House was built in 1762 in a Palladian manner, and the existing 4 Hacton House is a locally listed structure forming the west wing to the 18th century mansion, and is primarily a 1940s bungalow built behind the retained 18th century façade. The proposed project includes the demolition of the existing 1940s structure, and the construction of a new house behind the retained and repaired front façade. From the rear, the proposed building is a contemporary pavilion alongside the main block of Hacton House. The proposed house has formal qualities which respond to the 18th century structure. It has large windows at a raised ground level, which correspond to the original piano nobile of the main house. The proposed pavilion, built to "PassivHaus" ecological standards, has a shallow pitched roof covered in standing seam tern coated stainless steel and a heavy cornice/ gutter made of the same material which will help to emphasise the formal appearance of the rear elevation of the building.